Sunday, January 11, 2009

Surviving Winter.....Cupcakes and Cardinals...

I am surviving winter....barely.

I am finding myself popping Vitamin D and watching the weather reports like crazy. So, anyway, this week was the first week back from Christmas vacation which is always a toughie for me mentally but i was thankful it was a week without any work. So, I started on some of my lists of things to do that I was looking forward to. In between my to do lists I found myself wasting time on the computer (I know, what a shock!) and found this blogger who lives here in the Indy area and who also follows some blogger friends of mine from Michigan...I know, small world. Anyway, she had a post about this wonderful cupcake shop here in Indianapols called "The Flying Cupcake". To see her gorgeous post click here and scroll down the page until you find the post called "The Flying Cupcake". She has one of those big, fancy cameras that can actually do justice to this very cool, fun, happy little shop. Here are some pics of mine but really go feast your eyes on hers. When I did, I called my friend Pam and said "Hey, instead of boring old Starbucks, lets go get happy and eat some cupcakes!" I needed the charm of this cheery little shop to break me out of my winter blues and it did the trick. The cupcakes were amazing and the atmosphere very mid-May like.





Pam.....eating a coconut cream filled one.
Something I actually look FORWARD to about winter is bird watching.

Some of you know I love feeding winter birds and this morning while Matt was at church, Evalee and I sat and watched birds for about 30 minutes. It was a precious time, and we had fun. I tried to catch some pics of some of the birds using my digital zoom but do I have to say it again....my camera SUCKS. But here they are anyway....


A Male Cardinal above and below.
This is a red-bellied woodpecker and although his head is red it is NOT a red-headed woodpecker. Those are actually quite rare and hard to find.

When I clicked the picture he turned and looked at me!

This is a little Junco hidden in my wisteria vines...



My sweet little bird-watching partner:
What do you do to survive winter?

13 comments:

Gberger January 11, 2009 at 10:26 AM  

Your birds are lovely. They show up so well on the snowy background.

I read and do a lot of my crafts in winter...and I walk 3 miles or more, every day, no matter the weather. Exercise is a great anti-depressant. God bless you.

pwdrd donuts January 11, 2009 at 12:59 PM  

You're such a great mom. You need to capture a great picture of a Junco - cause everyone who doesn't know what they are, needs to see them up close since they're so darn cute. If I die and come back as a bird, I'll be a Junco. I love that you have brought birdwatching to our family. I never expected that. What did I bring? Hmmmm...let's see. Oh, I know...I brought Ultimate Fighting!

Desire of Great Love January 11, 2009 at 8:11 PM  

That cupcake store looks so cute & quaint! What kind of cupper did you get? I think cupcakes are so under rated, and the sucky ones at walmart are gross!

I have "survived" this winter by being pregnant...
I'm only half joking here- seriously, the pregnancy has so far kept me from going "down that road" (surprisingly) and I'm grateful for it!
The other things:
computer games. yeah- they get old after a while, but I've been playing them WAAAAAAAAY too much! LOL

Your birdies are lovery :) and your captures are priceless!

BTW- I have a hard time believing Matt likes the UFC- is it true? Is this like the only sport he likes/watches? curious... LOL

Carin January 12, 2009 at 4:52 AM  

oh, I want to go to that cupcake shop!

and I LOVE birdwatching!

I actually miss the winters when my kids were little...I actually enjoyed it when we didn't have to go anywhere - storytime, if we wanted to - but other than that, just an excuse to stay home and feel all cozy. I know, you're rolling your eyes!

Now, I MUST start the car very early...I hate climbing into a freezing car, peeking through a peep hole on the windshield that I've scraped with a cd case because I can't find the scraper.

and baths. and hot tea. and mass supplies of black magic gloves as mittens and gloves are so easily lost or left in lockers at our house.

that was a long comment.

have a great day. I will...it's 75 here :o)

xoxo

Beth January 12, 2009 at 5:36 AM  

The cup cake place looks like a sweet place to go! I want to go too! So just as soon as I buy me a car....I'm there. I miss the days the kids were young and I could just stay in all day too! Andrew has the flu today so we are in and it is kind of nice.

Miss You!

Angie Seaman January 12, 2009 at 8:13 AM  

Oh thanks girl. I saw all of these hits coming from your blog to my site via my blog tracker and thought "what in the world.,"! Then, I followed the link back and saw that it was sweet you with this great post about my favorite cupcake place EVAH! Ha ha! Thanks for the compliments on my pictures I took there. We had a fun day that day. The place is incredible isn't it? Brennen brought home another good report card Friday. Maybe I should use it as an excuse again to hit the cupcake store. HA HA!
PS...There is a new cupcake place in Carmel off of Range line Road called HOLY COW CUPCAKES. It's really good too. Smaller in size but great taste!
Hugs, Angie
www.angelicagracedesigns.com/blog/
www.angieseamanphotography.blogspot.com/

Shannon January 12, 2009 at 4:02 PM  

.... By dreaming of a tropical vacation soon !!!! Wanna know how much vitamin d you take;)!!! That's great!!! Ha!!ha!!!

Anonymous January 15, 2009 at 10:24 AM  

You and your birds! Love you and miss you! Spring is around the corner girlfriend!

carissa... brown eyed fox January 15, 2009 at 10:50 AM  

first of all... coconut cream filled... i might knock somebody over to get to that! :)

i saw Angie's post on that... how funny! that place is like being in a wonderland of sorts! what a perfect place to visit during this winter blah!

you have a TON of amazing bird visitors... how neat!
i love the way they POP against the white snow!

fortunately... it IS cold here but the sun shines all the time. when we lived in Ohio... ugh... the winter flat out stunk... dark all the time! i feel for you! it sounds like you are making the best of it though! AND... "the sun will come out tomorrow"... :)

BIG xo

pwdrd donuts January 15, 2009 at 6:14 PM  

7 days? Unnaceptable. Get at it cutie pie!

Our Family January 16, 2009 at 3:51 AM  

hang in there girl.

that's all i got. i have a hard time too. we had a sunny day yesterday and i went for a long walk. it helped jump start me a little.

Julia January 24, 2009 at 3:17 PM  

heather... i have a strange connection!! you are gonna have to stick with me on this one - - - so, i was looking at old blog posts of yours and you have a post from Gulf Shores. It reminded me so much of when we all went years and years ago!! But, you met a Blue Angel Pilot, Nate Miller... Lapeer High School 1991... Well, Adam, my boyfriend's Dad was his teacher and knows him very well!! Adam is from Lapeer and both his parents teach there... I saw that post and it just hit me that it was the same guy!! That is so strange and ironic!! hope all is well!

pen in hand, heart on sleeve February 5, 2009 at 1:24 PM  

Heather,
It was so bad for me that we moved to Austin! I will be praying for you. I can totally relate to your pain... spring will come and it won't be long. I promise.