Sunday, February 22, 2009

Florida on the way....and the financial crisis understood

This background change is to celebrate that I am leaving for Florida to visit my mom and dad in 37 short days. It is how I survive the rest of the winter. Counting down the dreary days to paradise. Sorry for the blog silence. Just been so busy working that its either blogging or facebook and facebook has been my computer "crack" of choice lately.

Something really getting to me lately is the financial crisis. We moved here from Michigan almost three years ago and left the "financial mess" in that state hoping to escape it by moving to Indianapolis - the land of what seemed like financial stability and growing economies. Neighborhoods being built on every corner, new strip malls everywhere, brand new elementary schools and on and on. HOWEVER. Things have changed. Big time. Now we have empty houses everywhere (even brand new ones), and houses selling in our neighborhood for much less than they sold for three years ago. It is funny because Matt and I are beginning to say..."Hey, does this remind you of Michigan three years ago?" Anyway, got on a friend's blog this a.m. that had these videos posted of how to understand what has REALLY happened in this mess (former Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan is partly indited in it). It is a FUN to watch, interesting video that will leave you feeling like a smarty pants using words like Sub Prime Market, Collateral Debt Obligations and on and on. Enjoy and let me know what you think. I had trouble downloading the actual videos so these are the links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0zEXdDO5JU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYhDkZjKBEw&feature=related

See ya....

4 comments:

Gberger February 22, 2009 at 8:59 AM  

Living in Washington (where the "snowbirds" go to Palm Springs), I understand your excitement! Have a wonderful vacation.
As for the economy, we have many lessons to learn from it, I suppose. Patience and hard work will be needed by all, and I pray that those lessons will bless us in the long run. (Hey, my word verification is "metoina" - for a second, I thought it was "metanoia!")

The Liller Family February 23, 2009 at 1:00 PM  

That was worth the 11 minutes of my time to watch those videos! I've wondered for awhile why the house I live in is worth less than it was when we built it 9 years ago. I watch HGTV's "My House Is Worth What" and wonder if we're the only market where the value of our homes is decreasing - HGTV certainly gives me hope, but it hasn't looked good for awhile now!!! Good thing we're not planning on moving anytime soon! Okay I'm rambling now, but thanks for the videos - it makes a little more sense to me now! If I try to talk to my brother (the financial wizard and owner of a Hedge Fund Company out in San Francisco) I'm COMPLETELY LOST!!!

Have fun in FL - I can't wait for warmer weather!!!

Beth February 25, 2009 at 5:51 AM  

Love the new background.....looks inviiting:) I of coarse did not go to the website and watch the video but I love you does that count? Going to your moms sounds good......I'm thinking I will come visit you either next week or the next depending on your work schdule. What do you think?

Miss You!

carissa... brown eyed fox February 25, 2009 at 2:01 PM  

isn't it all so crazy!

i find myself getting sucked into all the "what if's"...
it is crazy nuts here too... scary kind!

i have to literally remind myself... "turn it over girlfriend"... "you're not in control"... HE knows... it will be okay!

i think Florida sounds incredible!
what a wondeful time i hope you have! relax & enjoy! :D